Ware County Records Available to Members of Georgia Pioneers
Indexes to Probate Records
- Index to Ware County Wills, Volume A, 1879-1915.
- Index to Ware County Inventories and Appraisements, Book B, 1896-1946
Digital Images of Ware County Wills (1866-1897)Testators: Sarah Baker, Mary Blackshear, Manervia Everitt, Thomas Fletcher, Abraham Hargroves, Caroline Hewitt, Rosalie Hohenstein, Sarah Lanier, Lavenia Lee, Daniel Lott, William McDonald, A. P. Minshew, John Murry, William Phillips, Mary Shine, T. T. Thigpen and Thomas Wilson.
Traced Genealogies: Ware County Families
Fort Gilmer was built in 1838 as a garrison to enforce the removal from this region of the last Cherokee Indians under the prescribed terms of the Treaty of New Echota of 1835. Fort Gilmer is the place where the Indians were dispatched and guarded until they were removed to be removed to the West. It served as the temporary headquarters of General Winfield Scott, under whose command the removal occurred.
Names of Families in Ware County Wills, Estates, Annual Returns, Inventories
The first pastor was W. E. Perryclear. The lot for the church was donated in 1883 by Captain James Know. Source: The Atlanta Journal September 16, 1893. Ware County was formed in 1825 from Appling County and named after U. S. Senator, Nicholas Ware from Augusta. County Seat: Waycross, Georgia. The first will and estate books did not survive. Some early settlers were: W. W. Ansley, Mary Blackshear, P. W. Butler and Obadiah Barber.