Meriwether County Families
Earnest Faver Wheeless Wyatt
Tweets by georgiapioneers
Tweet to @GeorgiaPioneers
Meriwether County Genealogy, Wills, Estates, Marriages
Genealogists should always research Troup, Haralson and Marion Counties to find ancestors. The first court house was a two-story brick building constructed in 1832; damaged by tornado in 1893; rebuilt and served until a new court house was built in 1904. However in 1976 a fire destroyed much of the building except for the brick exterior walls. In a restoration begun in 1977 and completed in 1980, the courthouse was rebuilt within the original walls. The interior was enlarged to provide more office space. The courthouse rotunda was eliminated, a basement dug, and the ceiling space reduced to allow three floors instead of two. A French bell weighing one-half ton was installed in the clock tower, and a statue of the female muse Justice placed on top of the tower. Meriwether County was created from Troup County in 1827 by an Act of the General Assembly.24, 1827 and was named after the former Georgia congressman David Meriwether (1755-1822). The first election of county officials take place on the first Monday in Feb. 1828 at the house of Hugh W. Ector. The inferior court selected a site on land owned by Ector and named the new town Greenville after Revolutionary War hero Nathanael Greene. Muscogee and Troup County records, along with the adjoining Alabama counties should be researched as this county was one of the favorite migratory paths into Alabama.
Meriwether County Records Available to Members of Georgia Pioneers
Images of Wills, Book A, 1831 to 1859
Testators: Allen, Nancy; Ammons, Starling; Bennett, William; Bethune, William; Beauchamp, William; Blackburn, John; Blalock, John; Boyd, Robert; Brantly, Jesse; Brown, Robert; Butts, Zachariah; Caldwell, Hiram; Caldwell, Robert; Capel, Watson; Chappell, William; Clower, Morgan; Coleman, Samuel; Coleman, Sarah; Copelen, Anna; Courtney, Emanuel; Cross, Ezekiel; Crowder, James; Dark, Faithy, widow of John Watts; Day, Jonathan; Dismuke, Elizabeth; Douglas, Joseph; Dunlop, Joseph; Dupree, Mary; Durham, Abner Sr.; Edwards, Sterling; Enloe, Deason; Esham, William; Faver, Reuben; Fletcher, Zela; Freeman, Jeremiah; Freeman, John; Fuller, James Anderson; Garrett, Charles; Gaston, Alexander; Gates, Benjamin; Gates, Bennett H. H.; Gates, Samuel; Gill, William; Godfrey, George; Goss, John C.; Gresham, Eliza L.; Griffin, Elijah B.; Griffin, George W.; Groce, Hannah; Guice, John; Guice, Samuel; Hall, Alexander; Hamilton, Moses; Hardaway, Francis; Harris, Henry; Hatton, Robert; Heath, Elizabeth; Herndon, Edward; Hodges, John; Holtzclaw, Henry; Horne, John; Huddleston, Selina; Hudson, Ward; Hussey, Hiram H.; Johnson, Randy; Jones, Anne E.; Jones, Robert; Jones, Willis; Jossey, Henry; Keith, David; Kelly, Marvel; Kendall, Elisha; Keith, David; Kilpatrick, Richard; Lewis, Samuel; Martin, Marshall; Matthews, Abraham M.; Matthews, Milo; Matthews, Thomas; McDaniel, Christian; McMath, John H.; Meacham, James; Meggs, William; Milam, John; Moffat, Jane; Moreman, John; Morgan, Hobson; Morgan, William; Nilet, Susannah; Owens, George; Park, John; Pennington, Thomas; Perry, William; Phillips, Elijah; Phillips, Solomon; Plant, William; Pullen, Mildred R.; Pyron, Lewis; Ragland, Robert; Ragland, Robert (2); Ray, George Austin; Reeves, Asa; Reeves, Jonathan; Render, James; Render, Robert; Rhymes, Elizabeth; Robertson, Henry; Robertson, Lemuel; Robertson, Martha; Roper, William; Saunders, Mary; Sewell, James L.; Sewell, James; Sewell, William; Sharp, William; Simmons, Jesse; Strozier, Reuben; Swint, James; Tarver, Lawrence H.; Thompson, Seth; Thornton, Martha; Thrash, Christopher; Tigner, H. H.; Tillman, John; Townsend, Nathaniel; Tuggle, Lee; Vaughan, Edmond; Waddle, William; Walton, Thomas; Watts, Elizabeth; Watts, Sarah; Weldon, Isaac; Wellborn, Alfred; Wells, Eleanor A.; Wells, John; Whitton, George; Wilhight, Penelope; Wilhight, Richard; Wilkinson, Alexander; Williams, David; Wilson, Isaac; Wilson, Isaac; Wilson, John Jr.
Indexes to Probate Records
- Index to Meriwether County Wills, Book B, 1859-1903
- Index to Meriwether County Annual Returns, Appraisements, Inventories, Sales, Book A, 1828-1841
- Index to Meriwether County Annual Returns, Appraisements, Inventories, Sales, Book B, 1841-1846
- Index to Meriwether County Annual Returns, Appraisements, Inventories, Sales, Book C, 1846-1852
- Index to Meriwether County Annual Returns, Appraisements, Inventories, Sales, Book D, 1852-1855
- Index to Meriwether County Annual Returns, Appraisements, Inventories, Sales, Book E, 1858-1863
- Index to Meriwether County Annual Returns, Appraisements, Inventories, Sales, Book F, 1856-1859
- Index to Meriwether County Annual Returns, Appraisements, Inventories, Sales, Book G, 1862-1873
- Index to Meriwether County Annual Returns, Appraisements, Inventories, Sales, Book H, 1865-1888
Miscellaneous Wills and Estates
- Index to Meriwether County Marriages 1828-1843
- Index to Meriwether County Marriages 1843-1866
- Index to Meriwether County Marriage Licenses 1843-1866
- Index to Meriwether County Marriages 1866-1877
- Index to Meriwether County Marriages 1877-1880
- Index to Meriwether County Marriages 1889-1886
- Meriwether County Marriages from newspapers 1885-1886.
Miscellaneous Digital Images of Deeds
- Favor, Reuben, Estate (1849) Transcription of LWT (Digital Image).
- Favor, Reubin, Estate (1850) (Digital Image).
- Favor, Reubin, Annual Return, Inventory and Sale (1851) (Digital Image).
- Favor, William, Transcription of 1892 LWT (Digital Image).
- Hall, Alexander, LWT 1858 (Digital Image).
- Hall, Hugh (estate)
- Benjamin Drew to William Drew
- George W. Head to J. C. Delaperriere
- George W. Head to Jessie Brown
- James McDaniel to H. Gray
- James Reese to George W. Smith
- Jane McDaniel and her children
- Joseph McDonald to John Thomas
- Nancy Bass to E. P. Dodd
- Robert A. Heard to John Douglas
- S. P. Head to W. T. Lawson
- Thomas J. Head to Martha Sutton
- Thornton Holmon to Malcom McDonald
- Vincent Corley to Mary Fogerty
- W. M. Evans, the right of homestead
- Providence Church, Luthersville, 1818 members.