Wilkes County Records
Wilkes County Court House.
Phillips Mill Baptist Church. Wilkes County was created in 1777 from ceded lands of Cherokee and Creek Indians. People who resided in Wilkes County are also found in Warren and Oglethorpe Counties. Between 1790 and 1854, the legislature took land from Wilkes County to form Elbert County (1790), Oglethorpe County (1793), and Lincoln County (1796), and to help form Warren County (1793) and Taliaferro County (1825). The county seat is Washington, Georgia. Lincoln County should always be researched along with Wilkes. Many of the first settlers came from Virginia and North Carolina to take up the ceded lands (from the Indians) during the late 1700's. Early Settlers: John Heard, William Rasberry, James Gray, David Montgomery, John Marks, Bernard Zimmerman, George Bailey, William Mathis, Solomon Ellis and others.
Click on Me
Wilkes County Records Available to Members of Georgia Pioneers
Indexes to Probate Records
Digital Images of Wilkes County Wills, Bk C, 1786-1806
- General Index to Wilkes County Estates, A-G.
- General Index to Wilkes County Estates, H-L.
- General Index to Wilkes County Estates, M-Q.
- General Index to Wilkes County Estates, R-Z.
- Index to Wilkes County Will Book C, 1786-1806
Testators: Bailey, George; Bowen, John; Cochran, Samuel; Cochran, Samuel (2); Daniel, William; Ellis, Solomon; Evans, Susannah; Gibson, Walter; Gooden, William; Gray, James; Heard, John; Lunceford, William; Marks, John; Mathis, William; Montgomery, David; Rasberry, William; Rice, Nathaniel G.; Smith, John; Tatum, Peter; Thomas, Philip; Zimmerman, Bernard
- Wilkes County Marriages from newspapers 1885-1886.
- Map of Wilkes County, 1955.
- Map of Original Wilkes County.
- Map of Wilkes County Settlers.
Digital Images of Miscellaneous Wills & Estates
- Origins of Early Settlers to Wilkes County
- Members of Sardis Church Members in 1805.
- Anthony, Joseph, Estate (1815) of.
- Arnold, Moses, Estate (1810) of.
- Favor, Henry, guardianship of.
- Favor, John, Sr., Estate (1833) (Image).
- Favor, John, Estate (1850) (Image).
- Favor, John, Inventory (1818).
- Favor, John, Estate (1818) (Image).
- Favor, Matthew, Bond for Estate of John Favor Sr., 1829 (Image).
- Favor, Sanders, Guardians of (1819).
- Keith, George W., Annual Return for the minor children of William A. Keith, deceased, 1850 (Image).
- Marks, John, estate (image) (1800).
- McLane, John, LWT, Bk 1792-1801, pp. 115-117.
- McLane, Mariney, LWT, Bk 1792-1801, pp. 240.