Sumter County Court House. Sumter County was founded in 1832 from Lee County and was the site of 3 hospitals for Confederate soldiers during the Civil War. The famous confederate prisonAndersonvillewas located here where many northern soldiers died as a result of cruel treatment. The surrounding town and plantations, suffering themselves, share food with the prisoners but history fails to give this account. County Seat: Americus. Early Settlers: Oliver Griffith, Samuel Bivins, Wright Brady, Lewis Bruner, John Cowart, Ebenezer Cottle, James Cato, William Dupree, John Fletcher.
Sumter County Databases Available to Members of Georgia Pioneers
Sumter County Marriages
- Sumter County Marriages 1833-1850
- Sumter County Marriages from newspapers 1885-1886.
Indexes to Probate Records
- Sumter County Wills 1831-1900 (abstracts).
Miscellaneous Wills and Estates
- Index to Sumter County Will Bk OO, 1838 to 1855.
- Index to Sumer County Annual Returns, Vouchers, Appraisements, 1850 to 1870
- Brinkley, Benjamin H., deceased. Bond for Temporary Letters of Administration (1854).
- Powell, John, LWT (Digital Image)(1863).
- Powell, William, LWT (Digital Image) (1863).