Battle of Shephard's Plantation
The Creek Indians occupied most of Gwinnett County until about 1826 when they were pushed across the Chattahoochee River. In 1836 when they burned a village in Stewart County called "Roanoke", Governor William Schley called for volunteers. Three companies were organized into a Creek Indian War. Captain Garmany and his mounted volunteers left Lawrenceville on May 26, 1836, and arrived in Columbus on June 3rd, then continued down the river to Shepherd's Plantation.
Twenty five of the men were sent to guard a fort situated on the river. Then, on June 9th when shots were heard, the
men were dispatched. They discovered Indians preparing for battle. A skirmish caused Captain Garman to be seriously wounded. But Major Jernigan soon arrived with his men and charged the enemy from Fort Stewart. Eight soldiers were killed, viz:
J. S. Lacy, Orderly-Sergeant James C. Martin, James H. Holland, Robert T. Holland, James M. Allen, William M. Sims, J. A. V. Tate, and Henry W. Paden. The following year a meeting was held in Lawrenceville to decide to have the bodies of the eight young men who had died at Shepherd's Plantation brought back to Gwinnett County and buried with military honors in a common grave. The burial occurred on February 17th, 1837 in the northwest corner of the courthouse yard.
Samuel Johnston, the son of John Johnston, a Revolutionary War Soldier who served under Elijah Clarke, was a pioneer from North Carolina to Stewart County, first settled in Lincoln County. He built his home on the road leading from Lumpkin to Columbus, which was about 4 miles from Lumpkin. He was a planter and surveyor, and owned a grist and flour mill on the creek near his home. Johnston was listed in the History of Stewart County, Georgia, Volume I as serving as a First Lieutenant in the Stewart Guards, 1831 to 1850. A monument was erected to Johnston
"Upon a knoll overlooking Colotchee Creek Valley about three and one half miles north of Lumpkin on the Columbus Road, there was unveiled and dedicated a memorial honoring First. Lieut. Samuel Johnston (1798-1843) yesterday, Sunday, May 19th, 1957." (Columbus Newspaper).
Stewart County Wills, Estates, Marriages, Church Records
Stewart County was created from Randolph County in 1830 Later, portions of Stewart County were used to create Quitman County in 1858. County seat: Lumpkin, Georgia. Early Settlers: Sampson L. Lampkin, county surveyor; Edward Studevant, coroner; Thomas R. Mangham, clerk of the superior court, Jonathan F. Bridges, sheriff; Joseph Williams; Sampson Bell; William C. Grimmer; Robert Applewhite: and H. M. Jenkins.
Stewart County Databases Available to Members of Georgia Pioneers
Digital Images of Stewart County Wills 1850 to 1852
Testators: Burke, John; Culpepper, John ; Gates, Samuel; Hall, Josiah ; Horton, Daniel ;Hughes, Nancy; Thornton, Robert ;West, Mary ;Williams, John
Digital Images of Stewart County Annual Returns and Estates
Testators: Allen Belcher, William Disharoon, Theophilus Hardie, Stephen Harris, Moses Matthews, Patterson Orphans, Joseph Powell, Matilda Price, John Stevenson, Peter Thompson, James White and Alexander Wilson.
Abstracts of Stewart County Wills
Indexes to Probate Records
- Harmony Church, Richland, 1839 members.
See how easy it is to view Wills, Estates, Inventories, Returns, Sales online