Jeannette Holland Austin Profile
The "Trail of Tears" and Fort Hoskins
During 1838 the remnants of the Cherokee Nation were rounded up by Federal Forces and the Georgia Militia and put into military stocks for the eventual removal to reservations in Indian Territory. On May 30th, seventy-nine Cherokee Indians were captured and guarded at Fort Hoskins under the command of Captain Thomas S. Jones. On June 9th 1838 it was reported that 122 captives had been sent directly to Ross Landing. In all, about 7000 U.S. Soldiers and Georgia Militia forced some 15,000 Cherokee Indians into stockades and held them for removal. It is believed that many Cherokees probably died in the stockades.
Murray County Families
Tweets by georgiapioneers
Tweet to @GeorgiaPioneers
Murray County Genealogy, Wills, Estates, Maps, Marriages
Murray County was created from Cherokee County on Dec. 3, 1832 by an Act of the General Assembly. Before that it was occupied by the Cherokee Nation of North Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, and North Carolina and Chief Vann farmed in this county.
Murray County Records Available to Members of Georgia Pioneers
Images of Murray County Wills 1840-1872
Testators: Adair, Edward ; Anderson, James ;Bailey, William ;Bates, Andrew J. ;Bates, John ;Bates, Julius ;Black, George ;Drummond, Daniel ;Ducket, Martha; Dwight, Samuel ;Fitzpatrick, Jackson ;Gaither, Elizabeth; Gray, Robert ;Hall, Drury ;Harrison, Nathan ;Hawkins, John;Hill, Richard; Humphries, David; Humphreys, Joab ;Jackson, Littlebury ;Johnson, Jason ;Jurkin, Samuel;Killingsworth. Francis; King, Elias ;McClain, William ;McCurdy, Stephen ;McEntire, John ;McGhee, James ;Murray, Samuel ;Neal, Adam ;Neal, Robert ;Parr, Charles ;Patterson, Robert C.; Pickett, James; Ray, William ;Ray, William J. ;Royston, Lewis ;Shelton, Elizabeth ;Sloan, Robert; Stevenson, John ;Stewart, Susan ;Stown, Luke ;Terry, Duncan; Terry, Lewis; Thompson, Benjamin ;Vining, Albert ;Wilkinson, John ;Wilson, Martha J.
Abstracts of Murray County Wills
Indexes to Probate Records
- Murray County Wills 1840-1872.
- Murray County Wills 1872-1922 (abstracts).
- Will Book 1, 1840-1872.
- Index to Murray County Will Book 2, 1872-1922.
- Annual Returns, Inventories, Vouchers 1835-1853.
- Annual Returns, Inventories, Vouchers 1853-60.
- Annual Returns, Inventories, Vouchers 1859-67.
- 1882 Map of Murray County.
- Map of Spring Place, seat of the US Indian Mission (Cherokee Nation).
- Map of Murray County District 8.
- Index to Marriages 1834-1849
- Murray County Rangers of 1838.
- List of Superior Court Judges and Clerks
- List of Sheriffs
- List of Tax Collectors and Receivers
See how easy it is to view Wills, Estates, Inventories, Returns, Sales online