History & Genealogy
Subscribe in a reader
Wilson Conner of Maryland was a Revolutionary War Soldier and also fought as a private in Florida during the War of 1812. After the war, he removed from South Carolina to Montgomery County, Georgia and his grave was marked by the DAR in the Dead River Cemetery in Uvalda. The incentive to serve in the War of 1812 was for acreage in Georgia, for the service of five years. The war in Florida involved the Seminole Indians from ca 1816 to 1819. It started with the excursions of General Andrew Jackson into West Florida and Spanish Florida and ended when the Spanish Crown agreed to cede Fkiruda to the United States in 1819. Later, the Treaty of Moultrie Creek of 1823 required the Seminoles to leave north Florida and be confined on a large reservation in the center of the Florida peninsula.
Montgomery County Wills, Estates, Tax DigestsMontgomery County was created from Washington County by an Act of the General Assembly approved Dec. 19, 1793 and was named after General Richard Montgomery (1736-1776) of the Continental Army, who was mortally wounded on Dec. 31, 1775 during the Battle of Quebec. Portions of Montgomery County were used to create the following counties: Tattnall (1801), Emanuel (1812), Dodge (1870), Toombs (1905), Wheeler (1912), and Treutlen (1918). The first court was held at the residence of William Neal until a courthouse and jail could be erected. An act of Feb. 8, 1797 provided that the courthouse, jail, and other county business be held at the plantation of Arthur Lott, which was designated the county seat of Montgomery County. Research Emanuel County with Montgomery County.
Montgomery County Records Available to Members of Georgia Pioneers
Montgomery County Wills
Indexes to Probate Records
- Digital Images of Montgomery County Wills 1843-1863
Adams, Nathaniel;Cheney, James;Gillis, Roderick;Grimes, Hiram; Hamilton, Marissa;Hughes, Mary;McArthur, John;McIntire, Daniel; McIntire, Lucy;McMillan, Angus;McMillan, Archibald;McRae, John; Miller, Isabella;Miller, John Sr.;Phillips, Lucinda;Ryals, John B.;Ryals, Joseph;Smith, David;Troup, Robert;Wall, William D.
- Montgomery County Wills 1808-1863 (abstracts).
- Index to Montgomery County Court of Ordinary Minutes 1837-1862.
- Index to Montgomery County Minutes 1809-1818.
- Index to Montgomery County Minutes 1809-1862.
- Index to Montgomery County Minutes 1820-1846.
- Index to Montgomery County Minutes 1821-1837.
- Index to Montgomery County Inventories, Bk B, 1874-1906.
- Morrison, Elizabeth, estate (Digital Image).
- Peterson, Alexander, estate (Digital Image).
- Ryals, Joshua, estate (Digital Image).
- 1805 Montgomery County Map
- Montgomery County 1811 Tax Digest.
- Montgomery County 1794 Jury List.
See how easy it is to view Wills, Estates, Inventories, Returns, Sales online