The earliest settlement in this area commenced ca 1784 with a small group of Revolutionary War veterans who settled on Franklin County's ceded lands. Jackson County was created in 1801 from portions of Franklin County. It was named after James Jackson, Revolutionary War hero, US Senator and the Governor who had to deal with the fraud involved in the Yazoo Land Act. The county originally covered 1800 square miles however from 1801 until 1914 portions were taken from Jackson to form parts of the present counties of Clarke, Oconee, Madison, Gwinnett, Hall, Walton, Banks, and Barrow. Many Revolutionary War Soldiers from South Carolina settled in Franklin County, and Franklin and Jackson should be searched together.
Jackson County Records Available to Members of Georgia Pioneers
- Jackson County Deed Book A (abstracted).
- Jackson County Wills 1802-1860 (abstracts).
- Jackson County Wills 1802-1860 (Digital Images).Testator's Names: Adair, William M.; Adams, John; Adams, Thomas R. G.; Allen, William; Allison, James; Angel, Ann; Anthony, Mary; Bagby, George; Bailey, William; Barker, Lewis; Barnet, Samuel; Barr, James;Barron, Thomas; Baugh, Josiah; Beard, Janet; Beavers, James;Beavers, William;Bennet, Micajah;Bennett, William;Blalock, Josiah L.; Booth, James;Borders, Isaac; Borders, Michael;Borders, Stephen; Boring, Isaac; Bostain, Matthew; Bowen, Owen J.;Boyle, Peter; Bradford, George; Braselton, Jacob, Sr.; Brazeal, Elizabeth;Brazeal, Frederick; Brooks, Middleton; Burson, Isaac; Carmichael, John; Brown, Lemuel;Carrel, James; Cash, John; Cash, Patrick;c Castleberry, William; Carter, John Martin; Chandler, Sterling; Chandler, Tabitha; Clark, Johnston; Cochran, James; Cochran, Mary; Coleman, John; Collins, Zachariah; Cowen, Elijah; Craft, Hannah; Craft, Polly; Crawford, John M.; Crisler, Absalom; Culpepper, Joseph; Cunningham, Ansel; Cunningham, Andrew; Cunningham, Elizabeth; Cunningham, Joseph T.; Cunningham, Mary; Cureton, Martha; Cureton, William; Dalton, John D.; Damron, Charles; David, Pittman; Davis, Joseph; Day, William; Deal, William; Dean, Shadrack; Dickson, David; Dixon, Solomon; Dougherty, Charles; Elmore, James; Embry, Boley; Few, Leonidas; Finley, Mary; Flagg, Chandler; Fowler, Nathan; Furman, Jonathan; Gathright, William; Gideon, James Jr.; Gilbert, John; Goodman, John T.; Green, James; Haggard, Samuel; Hancock, John; Hanson, Thomas; Hargroves, James; Harper, Alexander; Harris, Jesse; Harris, Joseph; Harrison, Coleman; Harrison, Joseph; Hays, Benjamin; Hays, George; Headen, George; Headen, William Sr.; Heard, Elizabeth; Heard, Richard; Heard, William; Henderson, David; Henderson, James; Henderson, John; Henderson, Josiah; Henderson, Samuel; Henderson, Samuel; Hendrix, Fennel; Hickman, William; Hines, Lewis; Hobson, Nicholas; Hodge, James; Holliday, Robert; Holmes, David; Horton, Prosser; Howard, Hardy; Howard, Sarah; Hughey, Joseph; Humphries, Joseph; Jarrett, Martha; Johnson, Thomas; Johnson, Thomas; Jones, Jane; Jones, Russel; Justus, John; Kerbow, Solomon; Key, Tandy; King, John; King, John; Knox, Samuel; Landrum, Joseph; Langford, William; Langston, Samuel; Lay, Elijah; Legg, Nathaniel; Lowry, Levi; Lowry, Martha; Martin, John; Martin, William D.; Matthews, William; McCarty, John; McCleskey, James; McDowell, Margaret; McDowell, Michael; McElhannon, John; McGehee, Nathan; McKinney, Charles; McKinney, Charles; McLester, Joseph; Miller, John; Minish, Elizabeth; Minish, Isaac; Minish, John; Moon, Robert; Moore, William Sr.; Morgan, Alexander; Morgan, William; Morris, Henry C.; Morris, John; Nash, James; Nash, Margaret; Neil, Thomas; Nicholson, Ann; Nixon, Travis; Olliver, Elijah Orr, James; Park, Hannah; Patton, Samuel G.; Pendergross, Edwin; Pettyjohn, Jacob; Petty, Adah; Pharr, Frances; Philips, Thomas; Pickins, John; Pool, Samuel; Potts, Henry; Potts, William; Randolph, Wood; Ratchford, Joseph; Reynolds, William; Redmon, Benjamin; Roberson, Aley; Robinson, John; Rogers, James; Rogers, John; Rogers, John; Ryan, Obedience; Scisson, John; Scott, Joseph; Scott, William; Shankle, James; Sharp, Nathan; Sharp, Noah; Shaw, William; Shields, Joseph; Shotwell, Nathaniel; Slaton, Uriah; Smith, James; Smith, James; Smith, Mary; Snow, Henry; Stapler, Ruth; Stapler, Thomas; Stewart, Mary; Stockton, Benjamin; Stoneham, Henry;Story, Thomas;Stovall, John;Street, Samuel;Strickland, Elizabeth;Tait, James; Thornton, Dozier;Thornton, Mark; Thurmond, Harrison;Thurmond, James;Thurmond, William;Titsworth, Isaac;Trent, Nathaniel;Trout, Sarah;Walker, Elizabeth;Walker, Henry;Wallace, Rachel;Wallis, Levi;Walters, John;Wallace, achel;Watson, Obediah; Weatherford, Charles; Welborn, James;Wheeler, James;White, Jesse; Whittingham, Daniel; Whitworth, Jacob;Williamson, Micajah;Williamson, William; Wills, Thomas; Wilson, Samuel; Wilson, Thomas; Winters, John; Winters, Richard;Witt, Middleton; Wofford, Absalom; Wood, Milton; Wright, John.
- Index to Jackson County Wills and Appraisements 1796-1814.
- Index to Jackson County Wills and Appraisements 1860-1888.
- Jackson County Inferior Court Minutes.
- Jackson County Marriages from newspapers 1885-1886.
- Origins of Early Settlers
- Land Warrants 1798 to 1805 (images of)
- Map of Jackson County.
Old Tombstones in Jackson County
By Jeannette Holland Austin
Researchers of Jackson County should also include the parent county of Franklin County; it attracted so many Revolutionary War Soldiers. Cemetery research is an essential part of genealogy and many old graves are present. One of the interesting facets of searching old tombstones is how the review of death occasions fits the history of a community. For example, young children who all died about the same time suggests a childhood disease such as measles, whooping cough, etc. The location of a small monument near the mother without a date suggests a childbirth death. The sentiment written upon the tombstones add flavor to that age and reveals tender stories. The book Jackson County Cemeteries by Jeannette Holland Austin is included in the cemetery databases and available to members of Georgia Pioneers
Academy Baptist Church
See how Easy it is to read old Wills online Members may also print/download image