Jeannette Holland Austin Profile
The 1799 Pilgrimage of Shoal Creek Church
Rev. Thomas Gilbert was the moderator of the Sarepta Association and a very aged man at the meeting of Falling Creek in 1804. Rev. Gilbert removed from Perquimans County, North Carolina to Franklin County, Georgia and it is said that at one time he owned 100,000 acres of land in North Georgia and Tennessee. He was the first to go to Louisville, Georgia to frame the Constitution for the State of Georgia and he was past the age of 90 years when he died in Hartwell, Georgia on the summit of a beautiful hill overlooking the verdant valley and limpid stream of the Tugaloo River.
Irishman Came A Long Way to be a Private in the American Revolutionary War
John McMullen was born in Dublin, Ireland ca 1740 and migrated to Virginia. At the time of the Revolutionary War, he was a resident of Swift Run Gap in the Blue Ridge Mountains. He sold his land in Virginia during 1797 and removed to Elbert County, Georgia. He died on Big Cedar Creek in Hart County in 1817. During the war he served in the 11th Virginia Regiment of Foot under Colonel Daniel Morgan.
Hart County Genealogy Resources, Wills, Estates, Marriages
Hartwell, Georgia is near Lake Hartwell, near the South Carolina border of Anderson County. Originally, this area was a series of creeks and branches, however, was flooded to create Lake Hartwell. Therefore, genealogists seeking Georgia ancestors in this vicinity needs to keep this in mind and research all of the surrounding counties as well as the bordering counties of South Carolina. Hart County was created from Elbert and Fannin Counties in 1853. When researching this county, also search the records in Jackson, Franklin and Elbert Counties. Early Settlers: Joe Buffington, John Bowers, D. S. P. Caldwell, R. A. Cobb, George Cauthon, Joseph Ellis, Moses Davis, N. A. Fleetwood, B. S. Higginbotham, John Johnson, Joseph Jackson, William Maxwell, Wyatt McMillan, B. B. Parker, James Reid, Thomas Sanders, Reubin Tyler, John G. Watson and Thomas C. H. White.
Hart County Probate Records Available to Members of Georgia Pioneers
Indexes to Probate Records
- Index to Licenses 1854-1869
- Index to Licenses 1854=1869
Images of Hart County Wills (1862-1866)
- Index to Wills (1847-1894)
- Index to Inventories, Book B (1862-1890)
- Index to Annual Returns, Inventories, Sales, Estates, 1859-1863
- Index to Annual Returns, Inventories, Sales, Estates, 1866-1872
- Index to Annual Returns, Inventories, Sales, Estates, 1872-1883Note: All of the images in Will Book A were not included because they were too faded to read. Testators: Barr, William;; Black, Robert; Bobo, Burrell; Bowen, Thomas; Bowers, William; Brewer, John; Bruce, Robert; Carnes, Halaway; Carnes, Wells; Clark, John; Cunningham, Franklin; Cunningham, Joseph; Dickinson, John; Dooly, William; Durkey, Malinda; Fleming, Peter; Gaines, William; Goss, Amos; Hendrick, Jesse; Hickman, Middleton; Holland, Thomas; McCurry, John; McMullers, William; Misch, John; Pinson, Sterling; Ray, Thomas; Rice, Francis; Shiflet, John; Smith, Jessie; Teasley, Braly; Tyner, Tollman; Walden, William; White, Essie or Eppy
See how easy it is to view Wills, Estates, Inventories, Returns, Sales online