The Creek and Cherokee Nations occupied the land separated by No man's land by a ten mile wide stretch on top of Tallapoosa Ridge. The first white man's trading post was established in 1835 by W. G. Black from North Carolina. Douglas County County was created in1870 during the Reconstruction period after the Civil War, and was first named for Fredrick Douglas Countys, the African-American abolitionist. When the General Assembly was re-established, reconstruction ended the name was changed to honor Stephen A. Douglas, the Illinois Senator who opposed Abraham Lincoln for the Presidency. The first known settlers in the County came in 1848, three brothers from South Carolina - Abe, Reuben and Young Vansant; J. M. Abercrombie, C. B. Baggett, Alexander Cochran, S. N. Dorsett, T. M. Entretine, W. H. Johnston, A. T. Tucker and others. When researching this county,one should also search Carroll and Paulding Counties.
Records Available to Members of Georgia Pioneers
Douglas County Wills 1870-1916, Bk B & C (Images)
Douglas County Letters of Administration and Guardianship 1871-1885 (images)
Index to Douglas County County Letters of Administration and Guardianship 1871-1885
Index to Douglas County Letters of Administration and Guardianship 1882-1934
Index to Douglas County Wills, Bk A, 1870-1932
Index to Douglas County Annual Returns, Bk A, 1871-1897
Index to Douglas County Annual Returns, Bk B, 1886-1899
Index to Douglas County Inventories and Appraisements, Book A, 1871-1887
Index to Douglas County Inventories and Appraisements, Book B, 1886-1933
Douglas County County Marriages from newspapers 1885-1886
Douglas County Paupers (1871-1890)
Douglas County Will Books B & C 1870-1916. (images). Names of Testators: - Abercrombie, William, Allen, George, Angle, Thomas, Arnold, Mary Annelia, Arnold, Willie, Banks, E. M., Blair, Columbus, Blanchard, Mary A., Blanchard, Thomas, Blanchard, T. J., Bomar, Margaret, Bowen, C. P., Bowen, Melissa, Breed, Nathan, Brown, John, Burnett, J. H., Camp, Wilson, Campbell, A. L., Capps, J. H., Carnes, Peter, Carnes, Sophie, Cochran, Edward, Colclough, Arden, Colclough, J. T., Connally, Thomas, Daniell, George, Daniel, H. J., Daniel, Jeremiah, Daniel, M. M., Dempsey, John Allen, Dingler, John F.,Dorris, Frank, Dorris, Martha Elizabeth, Dorris, William, Eargle, John, Enterkin, John, Ergle, V. F., Estes, Reuben, Farmer, J. W., Farmer, Lucinda, Foster, J. S. and L. F., Fountain, J. W., Gaines, Nannie, Gattis, W. W., Geer, Stella, George, John, Hagan, W. S., Hamby, Newton, Harding, H. L., Mrs., Harding, J. W., Hatchett, Josiah, Helman, T. H., Henderson, W. W., Henley, Tallulah, Hensler, Miles, Hindman, W. W., Hodge, Patterson, Hollis, Josie, House, Wiley T., Howell, William, Hunt, Thomas G., Irwin, F. M., James, C. W., Miss, James, Elizabeth, Johnson, Eulalie Gleason G., Johnston, Richard, Jones, E. F., Kennedy, William, Kilgore, William, Kirby, Charles, Land, Jefferson Howard, Lane, George W., Lane, Jefferson Howard, Lassiter, W. J., Leathers, Peter, Loyd, William, Lumpkin, C. C., Mrs., Malone, Burrell, Massey, R. W., McEwen, Alexander D., McKoy, James, McKoy, Mary, McLarty, Alfred, McLarty, D. H., McWhorter, E. B., Miller, Francis, Morris, Mollie, Morrison, F. B., Mozeley, Glenn, Newborn, Mary, Patterson, Hodge, Peace, Daniel, Peave, H. V., Peels, Annie Marcella, Pharr, T. E., Plaster, E. F., Poole, William, Pounds, Daniel, Pray, Ephraim, Prewett, William, Rainwater, J. H., Rakestraw, John, Read, Helen B., Rice, Leah, Rickerson, Williamson, Roberts, A. C., Rudd, A. C., Rutherford, J. W., Sayer, J. A., Scogin, Wylie, Selman, J. L., Sheffield, Rithia Caroline, Smith, Brad, Smith, I. W., Smith, James G., Smith, Moses, Spencer, John,Stamps, B. H., Spencer, John, Stewart, Francis Marion, Stovall, E. T., Strickland, J. T., Swofford, J. W., Tate, James, Thomas, Mallard, Thompson, Lenora, Turner, Samuel, Upshaw, Isaac D., Vansant, Noah, Vansant, Yong, Walden, W. W., Watkins, Henry, Watkins, Reece, Watson, James, Watson, J. P., Webb, J. A.,Welborn, Cordial, White, L. J., White, Richard, Welborn, Cordial, Willoughby, Thomas, Wingo, Nancy, Wood, W. A., Woodley, George M.
Douglas County Wills and Letters of Guardianship 1871-1885 (images). Testators: - Anderson, James B.,Anderson, J. W.,Adair, John T.,Baggett, Stephen,Barnett, William B.,Blanchard, G. F.,Bobo, John, T. A., Breed, Nathan,Bullard, Micajah's orphans,Caldwell, Morgan, Camp, Stephen D.,Casey, Etta J., minor,Conns?, Thomas, orphans of, Daniel, Joseph M.,Edge, John V.,Entrican, John,Entrican, T. A., Farmer, Joseph R.,Freeman, F. M,.Gresham, H. S. and H. W., orphans, Henderson, James H.,Henderson, J. M.,Herring, William J., Higgins minors,Hill, W. P.,Hogan, W. L.,Hough, James M.,Hutchans, Anna, James, Charles J.,James, John,James, Stephen,James, W. M.,James' minors,Johnston, James W.,Lamb, Catherine,Leatherwood, M. E., Liles, Joseph,Loyd, William W.,Maxwell, Mary Ann,McEwen, J. T., McGuire, W. D.,McLarty, Kiser,McLarty, Kiser Orphans,McLarty Orphans, Moore, Jesse F.,Morgan, Eli S.,Mosley, J. S.,Nally, J. B.,Neal, Robert L.,Neal, Robert,Pharr, John W.,Phillips, G. R. and H. C., minors, Reaves, J. M., minor,Rutherford, William,Rutherford, John W.'s Orphans, Scoggins, Wilie,Smith, William B.,Strickland, J. C.,Summerlin, Joseph, Tart, Kiser M.,Umphrey, J. Z., Orphans of,Vandant, Robin,Watkins, A. C.,Wheat, Braswell,White, Wade,Whitty?, E. B.,Wilkerson, F. M.,Winn, F. M.,Winn, G. A.,Winn, Mahala,Winn, William,Youngblood, J. T., minor, Youngblood Orphans
Georgia Bible Records by Jeannette Holland Austin
The Georgia Frontier, 3 volumes, by Jeannette Holland Austin
Georgia Intestate Records by Jeannette Holland Austin
The Georgians by Jeannette Holland Austin
Index to Georgia Wills by Jeannette Holland Austin
30,638 Burials in Georgia by Jeannette Holland Austin
Discover when and where your relatives graduated from Georgia Schools. See GA Graduates and Photos
By Jeannette Holland Austin
Douglasville first owned the name of "Skint Chestnut" being named after a large chestnut tree used as an Indian marker. The Creeks and Cherokees occupied this territory and ceremonial mounds are located throughout Douglas County including artifacts, pottery, tools, and weapons. As white settlers traversed across the county, the government drew a boundary line about one mile east of Douglasville, between the Indians tribes on the north (Cherokees) and south (Creeks). During the 1830s the Indians were forced to cede all their lands east of the Mississippi River to the federal government.
Etowah Indian Mounds near Cartersville.
See how Easy it is to read old Wills online Members may also print/download image