Carroll County Records
Pictured is Black Road 36.
Carroll County was established by an act of the Georgia legislature on June 9, 1825. It was named for Charles Carroll of Carrollton, Maryland, the last living signer of the Declaration of Independence. The original Carroll County was a very large triangular area extending from Alabama on the west to the Chattahoochee River on the east and south. The northern boundary of the county was the Cherokee Nation. Eventually parts of five other counties, viz: Campbell, Douglas, Haralson, Heard, and Troup were taken from the original Carroll County. Carroll County was the famous Creek Indian lands signed away in the Treaty of Indian Springs in 1825 which got chief William McIntosh murdered. The home of Chief McIntosh was located in present-day Carroll County along the Chattahoochee River. Much of the personal land of McIntosh, known since 1825 as the McIntosh Reserve, is today a county park. The county seat was originally located at Old Carrollton, in the eastern part of the county near the community of Sand Hill. In 1829 the current site was selected, and the name Troupsville was suggested by the inhabitants. Researchers should consider the bordering Alabama counties when doing research.
Probate Records Available to Members of Georgia Pioneers
Digital Images of Wills 1852-1900
- 1822 to 1860
- 1885 to 1886 (from newspapers)
Miscellaneous Deeds and Tax Digests
- Click here to see Index to Names
- Annual Returns, Estates, Wills. Book B, 1841 to 1853. -This important book went unindexed until now! The names were not included in the General Estate Index! However, all of the images were recently scanned and are now available to members of Georgia Pioneers.
Indexes to Probate Records and Deeds
- Holland, Edmund W.
- Watson, Asa
- Watson, Benjamin
- Watson, Burton
- Watson, James
- Watson, J. B.
- Watson, John
- Watson, John P.
- Watson, J. P.
- Watson, R. A.
- Watson, Tyre
Index to Deed Book 1843 to 1847
Index to Deed Book 1858 to 1863
Index to Deed Book L, 1867-1869 (includes images of indentures)
Index to Deed Book 1884 (includes images of indentures)
Index to Deed Book 1885
Index to Deed Book 1886 (includes images of indentures)
Index to Deed Book 1887
- General Index to Annual Returns and Vouchers 1831 to 1885 (did not include Book B, 1841 to 1853)
- Index to Inventories, Appraisements and Returns 1854-1857
- Index to Book A, 1852 to 1896
- Index to Will Book B, 1896 to 1922
Discover when and where your relatives graduated from Georgia Schools. See GA Graduates and Photos